When the sun chimes...

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Ipoh Mali 1

Due to the gloominess three weeks ago (never realized I haven’t update for such a long time), I totally cleared my past year’s annual leaves, escaped to Ipoh and spent one whole week there clearing my mind. I didn update last week coz I was still having mood swing after I came back from Ipoh. Ok ok, I was concerned and frustrated due to my late period.

Then few days ago, my bloody uterus wall finally tumbled down and oozed out. I had always being thankful tat I don’t experience bad PMS like my other gal frens do. I could even go jogging with my fren on my first day which my fren gave me an unbelievable look. BUT last week I had the worst PMS ever. The first day made me felt like I was in hell. Moreover, I also had to endure honey’s I-told-u-so smug face.

Alright, enough with my menses. I’m cool now. In fact, my ego is flying towards heaven. Yday was a damn busy day. I had to bleed each and every patient tat walked inside the lab and half of them told me that I’m a good and gentle bleeder. AHHAHAH! Man, I’m getting good with veins and needles…

Alright alright, enough about BLOOD. I want to write about FOOD.

Remember I went to Ipoh? I told honey I wanted to write about his hometown so he took me around and fed me like a pig. Seriously, think of Ipoh, think of food.

#1 White Coffee
White coffee is one of Ipoh’s famous beverages. The Old Town White Coffee headquarters is there. However, honey said the best taste white coffee is served in this shop. Any day, anytime, this shop will be packed with customers. This picture was taken on a weekday in the afternoon. All of them no need to work one meh?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I don’t know whether you realize or not that a typical cup of coffee will usually leave those milky or sticky and sugary aftertastes in your mouth. This one doesn’t. And it is still able to maintain the nice coffee aroma and sweetness in it. Take one cup in the morning and you are capable to work for 12 hours straight. Better than Tongkat Ali. *wink*
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
#2 Taugeh Chicken + Hor Fun
One of the best local dishes in Ipoh. I tell you ah, once you taste the Hor Fun in Ipoh, you are not gonna eat Hor Fun at other places liao. Like the Taiwanese, they will say: “Wah, fei chang Q oh!” It’s smoother, it’s bouncier and it’s chewier.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The Taugeh, huh, I tell you ah, you won’t see other places selling taugeh as big as this. It’s fat and it’s so much crunchier than normal taugeh. You won’t stop eating them.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
The chicken, I tell you again…aiyo just go eat la!

#3 Noodles + Fried “stuffs”
Whenever you are lying lazily around in the afternoon thinking bout something light and satisfying to eat but you are too lazy to cook Maggie Mee, you can try out the noodles under the big oak tree. Look, the tables are even numbered.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
There are few food stalls under this big oak tree but this particular stall serves the best-selling noodles + fried “stuffs”. Fried “stuffs” means fried fish meat, fried vegetables, fried tau ki, fried wanton etc.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Cheap, nice and shiok!

#4 Salted Chicken
Do you know that the breeders in Ipoh feed salt to their chicken everyday? Do you know that they chase the chicken around to make them exercise so they became slim, muscular and dehydrated? Ok, just kidding.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Anyway, not much description here coz I believe a lot of ppl already know that Ipoh produces the best salted chicken. This shop is also near the Ipoh Hor Fun Tauge Chicken. I always like to “bungkus” them and bring them all the way back to Klang, heat it up and enjoy the saltiness. Yum yum…

5# Chicken Rice
Another specialty in Ipoh.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
It may look like any other chicken rice you can get in KL but I think the rice is good. Other than that, the chicken and soup were so-so to me only. Despite that, it’s still a good dish to try out.

6# Desserts
Ipoh does produce nice desserts such as this coconut jelly. It is very refreshing and rejoicing. Personally, I like the fruit jelly more.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Then there’s the Soya store where they serve the delicious soya drinks and tau fu fah. Kinda funny store name they have.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Ask me the difference between the Ipoh tau fu fah and other places, I really dunno how to describe coz I just plain love tau fu fah.

7# Dim Sum
Too bad I didn’t get the chance to eat Dim Sum on my last trip. Honey is currently allergic to seafood. Haih…
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Can only tell you this is one of the oldest and most popular dim sum restaurants in Ipoh. Most of their dim sum restaurants follow the Hong Kong style. Very interesting indeed.

8# Chicken Bread
Chicken bread here doesn’t mean those breads with chicken filling. It’s a whole chicken fully wrapped inside the bread and later baked under high temperature. Actually this cuisine is originated from Kampar but since now Ipoh got a branch I might as well introduce it.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
There are two main flavours – herbal and curry chicken. I love the curry chicken coz can dip the bread in the curry. SOOOO yummy. I just discovered that they are also selling mutton. The mutton curry is even more mouth-watering.

#9 Tidbits
If you visit Ipoh, you definitely must buy the biscuits there especially the Hiong Piah and the CB (not cibai) = chicken biscuit. Why need to buy them? Coz they are simply tasty la…
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
#10 Duck soup noodle
I cannot leave out this one out even it’s not in Ipoh. If you happen to drive along NKVE up north and you happen to see a Bidor sign, turn in please. You will find yourself smacking lips with a duck in herbal soup. Once, Cassey dear even wanted to drive all the way up just for eating that. Look how irresistible the duck is…

See the amount of good food in Ipoh? I really came back with a big tummy! No kidding…

Hmm…do you realize most of the best dishes in Ipoh are based on chicken? I wonder if all the chickens in the farm are plotting this everyday…
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home